Thanks to a helpful walkthrough by Matthew Kean and some elbow grease, I learned UVLayout throughout the process of this unwrap. Being able to manage UVs in a new way has been exciting and I’m eager to make more use of it.
As become my regular workflow, I packed the UV sets using IPackThat and set up SGs in Max with the Smoothing-Groups-From-UV-Islands script by Martin Palko.
The unwrap is complete, using two and a half 4k maps. Largest texture project I’ve attempted. Should be fun!
I’ve not abandoned my GITS helicopter model. Not in the slightest. Between work, the constant job-hunt that is freelance, a three year old, and a moving process that’s just been finished thankfully, I’ve had to chip away at this. A few hours every week has been arduous but consistent. Not much to show off at any rate.
However retopo is finished. Now begins unwrap and baking. Which sounds like another drag but I’ll take UVs over retopo any day.
I’ll do periodic bake tests as I go to get a handle on the ideal way to break up the maps. Should be more to share that way too.
Here’s a short gif of the iterative process for the in-flight shot.
After studying principles of photography and exposure and figuring out some new things in keyshot, I put together this render. Aimed to capture some of the dynamic look from the show.
I spent time modeling some components that’ll rarely be seen. It’s arguable that I shouldn’t have modeled half of it, and not spent so much time on the other half. Nevertheless, it is modeled, and here it is.